Rating: 3/5 stars
Queen of Crows is hands down the most action-packed novella I’ve ever read.
A superbly well-crafted gritty story with memorable characters, tight pacing and vivid prose in just over 200 pages, The Armored Saint is one of the best novellas I've ever read.
When it comes to reading and reviewing, I’m gratified to say that this is the best year of reading I’ve had in my entire life. Getting to know some authors—some even gave me dedicated signed books as thanks for my review!—and bloggers, getting to experience all these creations birthed from different individuals, but most of all, forming friendships with people all around the world who love books as much as I do, have all been amazing bonuses that have further improved my reading experiences. It’s finally the end of the year and it’s only fair for me to close it with some of the best books I’ve read this year.
I need to say a few things first regarding this list. This is my first full year of reading and reviewing novels. This year alone I've read and reviewed 122 books. To me, this is not a small amount. I’ve sacrificed a lot of socializing time in order to achieve this quantity, not to mention that almost all my reviews comprised of 1000-2000 words which required at least one or two hours to write. Suffice to say I don't think I can achieve this amount of reading in a single year again as my life will only get busier with the passage of time. Considering the number of books I've read and reviewed this year, there will be three rules I set in this list in order for me to give appreciation to more authors rather than having only a few authors hoarding this list. The rules are:
- Rereads don’t count
- One book per author
- The book listed here are not exclusively published this year.
All the books listed received a rating of 4.5 or 5 out of 5 stars from me. Without further ado, here we go! (All full reviews of these books can be found on Booknest or on my Goodreads page.)
20. Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft
19. The Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley
18. The Crimson Campaign by Brian McClellan
17. The Core by Peter V. Brett
16. The Guns of Empire by Django Wexler
15. The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie
14. Saint's Blood by Sebastien de Castell
13. The Armored Saint by Myke Cole
12. Excalibur by Bernard Cornwell
11. Heir of Novron by Michael J Sullivan
10. The Mirror's Truth by Michael R. Fletcher
9. The Stone Sky by N.K Jemisin
8. The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu
7. Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames
6. Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
5. Golden Son by Pierce Brown
4. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
3. Blood Song by Anthony Ryan
2. Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson
1. Wrath by John Gwynne
I wish I could include more books because there are still plenty more great books I’ve read this year. But it was extremely hard for me to narrow down 122 books to 20 books already. Once again, thank you, everyone, for the experience. I look forward to reading and reviewing more books next year! :)