Rating: 5/5 stars
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Adult
The Top 8 Reasons why you should drop everything you're doing and grab the Kate Daniels series ASAP
(focusing on Magic Strikes)
1. The huge variety of mythology: celtic, greek, and now norse and hindu. Honestly, every supernatural creature you've ever heard will make an appearance, preferably soaked in blood and other substances I dare not name, and will deliver you extraordinary threats, unique bloodbath and eventually it will be killed in the most badass way.
2. The Midnight Games. An underground gladiatorial tournament with a magic jewel as a price. We're talking about a massacre of epic proportions that would make George Martin weep with pride. And the participants? Minotaurs, golems, mages and of course our Valiant Knights of the Fur. Prepare for major ass kicking.
3. Kate Daniels.
“I gave him a smile. I was aiming for sweet, but he turned a shade paler and scooted a bit farther from me. Note to self: work more on sweet and less on psycho-killer.”
4. The action. I will admit that while reading the first chapters I thought Magic Strikes would be a 4 stars read, they seemed pretty lame compared to the incredible plotline of the second book. But oh boy I was so wrong! Once the plot thickened with rogue shapeshifters and the kill-or-be-killed tournament, I.couldn't.stop.reading. This series keeps getting better and I have a feeling that sky is the limit!
5. The side characters. Whether they're sexual deviants or uptight cats or pretty werewolves or devastatingly handsome sex addicts, they're a great addition to the story, with their wit and loyalty and friendship.
6. Curran, the Beast Lord of Atlanta, the Leader of the Pack, and Asshole Supreme.
“...you expect me to fall on my back with my legs spread."
"Not necessarily. ... You can fall on your hands and knees if you prefer. Or against the wall. Or on the kitchen counter. I suppose I might let you be on top, if you make it worth my while.”
You get the picture.
7. The romance.
“Kiss me and I'll kill you,” I warned.
“It might be worth it,” he said softly.
The will-or-won't-they status keeps going, and it can be frustrating as hell, but it's the right course. Besides the sizzling tension and their fights, in Magic Strikes we saw how much Curran and Kate care for each other, that despite their differences there is something strong brewing between them, something more than raw attraction. They're falling in love.
“He caressed my cheek.
"You came for me," I whispered.
"Always," he told me.”